Friday 15 November 2013

Interview: Krystal Guerra - Personal Trainer at Mill Park Leisure

I was born on the 6th of November 1991, here in Melbourne. I grew up in Mill Park and still live in Mill Park with my parents Joe, Helen, also my two brothers - Jason (24) and Cameron (19) whom I share the same birthday with but we are three years apart.

When I was just 5 years old I used to snore, it was so loud my parents could hear me from the other end of the house, even with my bedroom door closed. In the end I was in need of an operation to get my tonsils and adenoids out, so that I breathe properly due to my small airways. Post operation I had a few complications leading to me being back in hospital multiple times. At one point my parents were told that they may lose me; thankfully I overcome the situation and slowly recovered.
I went to primary school at St Francis of Assisi and then moved on the high school at St Monica’s College. Through my whole schooling period I was always a tomboy - while all the other girls were off doing cartwheels and handstands, I would be out on the oval with the boys playing footy or soccer. Still to this day, I rather be outside playing sports than doing my hair or my nails. I love watching all footy, but most of all I love my boys down at Carlton. GO BLUES!

I completed my Diploma in Fitness at Victoria University and after finishing my Diploma I went into running a successful Personal Training franchise at Fitness First in Epping. I was there for a year and just before they closed down I left. This now brings me to Mill Park Leisure, where I have learnt so much and worked in most areas of the centre. I have made many lifelong friends and I look forward to helping everyone here at Mill Park Leisure to achieve their goals - no matter how big or small we all work together to get the results that each individual is looking for.
1. What do you do?
I work in a few different areas at Mill Park Leisure - in the Gym as a Gym Instructor and a Personal Trainer, I work  in Customer Service and also in Disability Services. I have also worked previously as a Swim Teacher.

2. What is your definition of success?
Success to me is achieving results, big or small, moving in a forward motion in a happy and healthy manner.

3. I think we can sometimes learn from the mistakes we make. What are some of the biggest mistakes you’ve made along the way? What did you learn from this?
I have made mistakes along the way - I think that everyone makes mistakes, but this is good because you learn from them and then grow with what you have learnt. My biggest mistake so far would have to be that fact that I have trouble saying “NO”, by me trying to please everyone and fit everyone in when it suits them it was taking a toll on my body. By giving them a few different options that worked for me gave them enough of a chance to pick what suited them also. I was working too long of a day and not getting the down time my body needed. I now know only to do what I can handle.

4. What are the top 5 tips you’d give the average person wanting to improve business performance?
  • Never give up
  • Up-skill all the time
  • Check out the competition
  • Be organised
  • Have goals in place

5. What do you think has enabled you to achieve success with the health and fitness industry?
The main reason for my success would have to be my love for the sport and fitness industry, secondly a great support system from my teachers at school through to work colleagues and most importantly my family and friends at home.

6. Who has the greatest influence on your career and what lessons did they teach you?
The greatest influence for my career would have to be my exercise prescription teacher when I was doing my Diploma. He taught me almost everything I know about the industry, but he also gave me the little tips for my sessions that make the difference. I still think of things that he says to this day in every one of my personal training sessions, it could be for anything about training to building rapport with clients.  

7. After a great result, how do you celebrate?
I would usually celebrate with family and friends with a dinner or a night out.

8. What do you do outside of work to relax and wind down?
Outside of work I catch up with friends, relax with family (having cooking days with my Nonna). I also play soccer so train on Tuesdays and Thursdays and then game day Sundays.

9. Now’s the time for what we call turbo 10. Ten quick questions….
What your favourite song? Pink, so what.
  • Favourite athlete? Andrew Walker
  • Movie? Step Brothers
  • Food? Fairy Floss
  • Holiday destination? Europe, I am going in 2014!!!
  • Most recently read book? I haven’t read a book since high school, I do read the paper.
  • What really annoys you? When people scratch their fork or knife on the plate and make the screeching sound.
  • If you could do anything that you wanted; what would it be? I would be a Personal Trainer for a singer or some kind of famous person - that way I could travel around the world while working a job that I love!
  • The one thing you would like to change in the world right now? For everyone to pass away old and peacefully in their sleep.
  • Where would you like to be in 5 years? All I want is to  be happy and healthy making a living of something I love to do.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment